Ok, so now that you’re rejuvenated after taking a rest yesterday, it’s time to get serious on building a business, in case you made the mistake, like so many do when they turn to self employment, of buying a job. Being a slave to your business is no better than having a boss to answer to, so today, answer the following questions to make sure you are working on your business, not just in it.
1. Are you following a written business plan?
2. Do you have a system for tracking all the opportunities that come your way? (Prospects, leads, strategic alliances, champions)
3. Do you have a flow chart, or sequence of events, for turning prospects into clients?
4. Do you have a weekly schedule that you follow?
5. Do you have a system and/or schedule for engaging in social media forums? (Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In etc.)
6. Do you have a system for billing that takes you less than an hour? (a month, a week?)
7. Do you have a system for keeping your books up to date. (I highly recommend having a bookkeeper)
8. What would happen to your business if something happened to you?
9. Do you have someone holding you accountable. (Business coach, mentor, accountant)
10.Do you take scheduled days and/or time off?
These questions will help you identify if you’re really taking the rains in building a business that is systemic and sustainable. Don’t beat yourself up if you have a lot of ‘no’ answers. Just be aware and schedule time to develop these systems for your business. If you have any specific questions or comments, I’d love to hear from you and I’m happy to help.
Have a great day!