For sun-worshipers, like myself, the summer we’ve had on the west coast has been spectacular. In fact, not a drop of rain fell on Vancouver in all of July! But sunny summer days can make for a bit of a rude awakening when the cooler breeze of autumn hits and the realities of that ‘back to work’ energy settle in.
That’s why I love to take a couple of days in early August and treat it like I’m approaching the New Year. I don’t know if it’s the back to school programming that’s ingrained, but I always feel a sense of freshness in the transition between summer and fall. It’s a time when I get a feeling that an energetic force is about to surge through the surface and I want to be prepared to meet it.
Here are some of my favourite questions to consider:
- What am I done with? What needs to go?
- What do I want more of? What needs to expand?
- If September was my last month alive on Earth, what would I spend it doing? (I’m not trying to be morbid, but this kind of a ponder makes things very real, very quickly.)
- What’s missing from my life right now?
- If I could add 1 thing to my day to improve the quality of my life, what would it be? Am I willing to commit to this?
Of course there’s some down and dirty drill downs with specifics and measurements, but I much prefer the free-flowing creative imaginings that the above queries stimulate in my mind and heart.
How do you prepare for fall?
Maybe you just GO FOR IT and if that’s the case, then don’t miss the Women In Biz Conference by the same name. I’ll be your, ahem, MC for the festivities taking place in Vancouver in October. Keynote speeches by the always amazing Danielle Laporte (rock star!) and the hilarious Jessica Holmes are not to be missed along with an Urban Retreat, live business coaching and a line up of stellar skill-building sessions. Early bird pricing is about to fly away so jump on the registration today and I’ll see you there!
Every season has its peaks and valleys. What you have to try to do is eliminate the Grand Canyon. – Andy Van Slyke